These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
This little piece of writing came to me in a lovely workshop I did with Sarah Davy on ‘Building an Archive’. We were asked to choose an object and write about them. I chose my walking boots.
‘Buy cheap, buy twice Rach’.
‘Yeah, they’ll last ya’.
‘You’ll need a good pair for all the walking you do’.
I bit the bullet and splurged out. I’d spent more on a pair of walking boots than I would on a monthly food shop. They’ll be worth it though...right?
I’ve had them for about 6 months now and christ they’ve seen some sights. If these boots could talk. Glad they can’t actually. No one needs to hear those stories. When they’re not out getting sole-worn they’re drying off under the radiator. I think I love them a bit you know, is that normal? Didn’t even get blisters off them in the beginning.
They’re always there for me when I need them the most. When no-one else is, I can always rely on my trusty owld boots. The legs might do the walking, but the feet do the talking. If your feet go mid-hike, you’re fucked.
‘They’re an investment into you’.
I’d be lost without them. Honest, absolute lifesavers.
If it weren’t for those walks, hills and mountains I’m not sure where I’d be. Doesn’t bear thinking about really. And they don’t even smell. Suppose that’s what you pay for though init?

Comments
Post a Comment